Monday 2 February 2015

Haggis for Auld Land Syne



Visiting Edinburgh was one of the first touristy things I did when I landed in the UK many moons ago. I instantly fell in love with the city, its people and music. I remember visiting little pubs with friends and joining in with the crowds singing cheeky Scottish folk songs. I've always been adventurous with food and despite being persuaded otherwise, I wanted to try the haggis. It is a shame I can't remember the restaurant where I had my first haggis, neeps and tatties but there was nothing 'iffy' about it . It was beautifully presented and delicious. This is my attempt at re-creating that first encounter with the haggis using root vegetables from our allotment.


Ingredients
1 kg haggis
250g  parsnips (traditional recipe uses swede/turnip) cubed
400g potatoes, cubed
100ml milk
250ml gravy

Method
Follow instructions with the pack for the haggis. I microwaved mine for 5 mins on full heat. You could also cook in the oven or simmer with a little water. Slice the parsnips and beetroot into wafer strips, season as desired (in this case the beetroot was seasoned with chilli and beetroot with rosemary)  and bake for 20 mins. Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water, reduce the heat and simmer until tender.  Drain the potatoes, return to the pan, add the milk and mash until smooth. Layer as shown in the picture and serve with gravy. Hope you have a Happy Hogmanay! Ann x


Haggis for Auld Land Syne
Rating: 100% based on 975 ratings. 91 user reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment