Thursday 25 December 2014

Custard Apple and Banana Sorbet


 

Appearances can often be deceptive and this is very much the case with custard apples (latin name Annona reticulata). They grow on ordinary looking trees and are quite possibly among the ugliest of fruits. Nevertheless, they beat most other hands down in taste. I love custard apples. You don't really see custard apples in the UK and so I decided to make the most of it whilst in India. I believe that ASDA and Asian supermarkets sometimes stock them but I suspect they won't be as cheaply priced. We bought a kilo of custard apples whilst at my Mum's but some of them were over-ripe. I detest over-ripe fruit, even if they are custard apples. So I made sorbet instead. It was an experiment but it turned out alright. See below for recipe.




Ingredients:
3 large custard apples
1 small banana
50g sugar
1 lemon
500 ml water

Method:
De-seed the custard apples. Mash the banana into a smooth consistency. Boil water and add sugar.  I have not recommended adding much sugar as the custard apples and banana are both high in sugar and calories. When the sugar syrup is well mixed, add the custard apple pulp and banana. Simmer for 5 minutes and let it cool. Pass the mixture through a strainer to get rid of any remaining seeds. Freeze for about 3 hours. The addition of the banana gives the sorbet a smooth consistency and reduces crystallization. Serve with a dash of lime.

I hope you enjoy making this dessert. It is really easy to make and tastes exquisite. Ann x

Custard Apple and Banana Sorbet
Rating: 100% based on 975 ratings. 91 user reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment