Friday 26 December 2014

Things to do in Durham




If you follow me on Instagram, you will have noticed the mid-week pictures from Durham. Over the last few months, I've been working on a wee project in Durham which meant that I've been exploring the city after work (when the weather isn't rubbish or when my workload isn't exploding). Durham is compact but beautiful city. Its actually more like a tiny town! That said, it has a rich history and enough going on within in to make it an attractive visitor destination. Whilst I'm no expert on the city, I decided to take the camera out to play one evening and draw up a list of my favourite things to do in Durham. 



Firstly, you can take a selfie in Durham! As fashion is a key part of my blog, I decided to snap a selfie or two to document my outfit for the day before I went out to capture the sights around town. Considering I didn't have my photographer husband around, I don't think I did a bad job?



The reality is, you can do the centre of Durham as an easy day trip because it is tiny. However, its true charm is found whilst exploring its quaint cobbled streets, beautiful architecture, independent cafes, pubs and restaurants , and in chatting with the locals.



Durham Cathedral and Castle are World Heritage Sites dating back to the 11th century. Durham Cathedral is dedicated to St. Cuthbert and contains his relics along with the remains of Ostwald of Northumbria and St. Bede. Durham castle is a magnificent Norman castle which is now home to university students. When the students are away on vacation, you can actually book to stay here at bargain prices!



My favourite late evening 'thing' in Durham is to go for a walk around the castle and cathedral before heading to The Cellar Door for a meal adventure. You can find all my foodie pictures from the restaurant on my Instagram here. In the early days, I had a colleague for company and we did explore a few different restaurants around town. Eventually, I found the choice at The Cellar Door much more appealing and so it became my regular haunt. The restaurant I never got to check out (as yet, as it was a bit more of a trek from my hotel) is DH1 and it looks very interesting.



I can't say I've explored night life in Durham properly but colleagues say that it has a good choice of pubs for a night out.  The pubs always looked welcoming but I'm not much of a drinker and so I preferred a meal and a walk.



Other things worth trying around Durham include a boat cruise or hire a little rowing boat near Elvet's bridge and checking out the local museums such as the Oriental Museum on Elvet's Hill. There are other places such as the kid-friendly Beamish Museum ( which Ed loved as a child) , for example, which are further afield. Also, I can't say I'd come down to Durham for a shopping trip but it does have some unique independent fashion stores as well as good charity shops that are worth checking out

Wearing: Isabel Marant inspired Zara blouse, American Apparel Disco Pants, Ash Suede Spiral Ankle boots and Coccinelle clutch (which usually stays in my handbag carrying random 'stuff')

To get in touch and see the latest on all my adventures, follow me on BloglovinTwitter,Instagram or Facebook.

Things to do in Durham
Rating: 100% based on 975 ratings. 91 user reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment