Saturday 15 November 2014

Finnish Christmas Market in London


My lovely friend Iiris recently invited us to the Finnish Christmas Fair in London. It's been nearly six years since my fantstaic trip to Finland. I was very excited at the thought of reliving that visit and also experiencing some Finnish Christmas traditions. So last weekend, Ed and I trundled down to London town for an evening filled with Finnish and Scandivandian culture.



We first headed out to the delightful Scandinavian street market selling oodles of Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish goodies. I was tempted by beautiful home design pieces, yummy cakes, gravadlax and ginger spiced hot chocolate. The main bit of the Finnish Christmas Fair happened within the premises of the Finnish Church in Albion Street. We drunk lovely warm glögg (a Finnish mulled alcoholic drink) and I nearly blew my brains eating far too much mustard with the Finnish national vegetable (a juicy sausage with mustard and condiments). Sadly, the reindeer and mash was all finished-yes I would have eaten Rudolph ;). The stalls sold lots of salty and spicy licorice (very much an acquired taste), several varieties of rye bread and a multitude of Finnish Christmas goodies. I bought a selection a Finnish goodies including salmiakki, fazer chocolate, savoury bread and rye bread. Nom nom nom!(except for the licorice which was a teeny bit strong for my taste).

I'll love you and leave you with some snapshots of the evening. And, I'd definitely recommend keeping an eye out on the Finnish Church website for next year's event! Ann x 


 








 


Finnish Christmas Market in London
Rating: 100% based on 975 ratings. 91 user reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment