Friday 14 November 2014

The Macaron Trials

Finished Product. The finish clearly needs more work
I love Macaroons. But like many dainty and edible things, I've always assumed they were  very difficult to make. I've been feeling braver lately and decided to give macaroon making a go. My first attempt, using a Lorraine Pascale recipe, was a disaster. I believe that was the Italian version. My next try using a basic French technique has been a little more successful and so here are some instructions through pictures.



Ingredients:
150g ground almonds
200g Icing sugar
100g Caster sugar
4 large egg whites or 2 sachets of dried whites
Food colour
Jam of choice
Whipped cream or butter icing

Instructions as per the pictures. I baked these at 170 degree C for about 20 minutes and that perhaps explains the cracked texture. I'll keep you posted on my next attempt at a slightly lower temperature.



Powdered egg whites
Ground almonds and icing sugar.

Egg whites beaten. Now to add caster sugar and get to a stiffer mix
Add the almond mixture and the egg whites mixture together .
Add colour. Add a lot more than you think you need. 6 times is what I've read.
Ready to bake



Red for now. A light coral when baked.
Cooling
With jam and whipped cream
The Macaron Trials
Rating: 100% based on 975 ratings. 91 user reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment